1.30.2011

better late than never...

i hate being late. i have always arrived early to places and end up having to kill 10 min in the car. when we moved to tulsa, we were late quite a bit. it took awhile to figure out tulsa traffic at different times of the day. needless to say, i allow extra time if it's anywhere over a mile from my house.

our church starts at 9:00 on sunday mornings. i get up at 6:30. apparently, that's not enough time to get myself and the boys ready. i kid you not...we can be ahead of schedule, but for various reasons, the last 20 minutes before we leave never go as planned and we end up being late.

for some reason, this battle shows it's self mostly on sundays. between not being able to find my keys (this happened last month...i had locked them in my car the night before), forgetting to put shoes on a kid only to realize it once he's already strapped in his seat (this happened 2 weeks ago), someone pooping their pants (this happened this morning), getting coats and shoes on 3 people (i often forego my own coat these days), etc, it's a miracle we make it anywhere.

i even packed their backpacks and laid out their clothes down to socks and a clean diaper last night knowing we were leaving for muskogee right after church. i think that's what irritated me most. i felt prepared last night!

as i pulled in the parking lot at 9:15 this morning, i was frustrated, but quickly was reminded that this is a phase that will probably pass sooner than i'm ready. until my kids can dress, feed, toilet and bathe themselves or don their own coat and shoes or strap themselves in the car, there's a good chance my plans won't always go according to how i would prefer, and i need to be ok with that and enjoy them where they are. now here me, i don't think it's wise to get in the habit of being late, but i'm not going to beat myself up over an occasional interference that comes up.

does anyone else have this internal struggle?? being a mommy is hard sometimes...

3 comments:

Josh and Maggie said...

Okay, I totally understand. Especially today. We missed church today because we accidentally woke up an hour late and there was no way we'd make it to church on time after taking showers, feeding Hannah, etc. I've definitely had to adjust my "getting ready" time since Hannah has been born and there have been many times when we've strapped her into the carseat and THEN she decides to fill her diaper! :)

eden greer said...

I haven't experienced that yet, but I have a feeling once our second daughter is born I will! It will be so fun for you to remember this time when they are older and are so independent. I am sad, but excited for those days. Love you guys!

Lisa said...

Even once they are more independent you can still run late because it takes a long time for them to have a concept of time and they can be very pokey getting ready. I have to constantly remind Joshua and Jacob to hurry up. Caleb does great though.